Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Jist

Hi all!

    My name is Shelby Jackson. Thus far, I would have to say I've led a truly amazing and priveleged life. I owe my sight-seeing, smile-every-day, friends-around-the-block childhood to my parents. Meet Mike a Sue Jackson: two loving people who brought three daughters into this world...and made it their purpose of giving those children a life of opportunity. Let me first start off by stating that my family is nothing out of the ordinary. Middle-class family living in a normal town in a normal state, living off normal means of income, leading normal busy lives. But to me, it's much much more than that. To me, it's my life, my upbringing, the basis of who I am today.
    So here I am, freshly turned 21 years of age and really starting to appreciate my life. It's a funny transition: becoming what society would call a "responsible adult." I am finally learning the consequences of my actions, prior to putting those actions into...action. I am finally starting to take complete and total responsibility for my life and my relationships with those around me. I am finally starting to understand what it is that I want for my future and what I need to do now in order to get there. Among realizing the "self" side of growing up, I'm also realizing the blessings I've endured all along. My childhood is one I will never forget, will always treasure and will always refer to as a very solid base of the childhood I can only dream of giving my children someday. And for that, I thank my parents from the deepest depths of my heart.
    Of course, aside from my parents building the base, I also had an incredibly special older sister to light the way. Meet Amy Jackson: a beautiful, outgoing, worldly and successful go-getter. I would find it wise for anyone to look up to her. She has all the right words to say, world experiences to speak from and ambition I will never be able to comprehend in my own years. I am so grateful for her help along the way, and can only imagine the lasting friendship we are building for the future.
   And of course, I can't forget the tight-knit group of girls I have grown to love as sisters. No matter how many different colleges we have all chosen to pack up our lives and run off to, we can all come together and still find a way to make it like old times. We've all gotten in trouble, cried, laughed, argued, supported, carried and trusted one another. We've seen each other at our lowest moments and been there to celebrate the best of times. Oh, the memories I will forever hold dear to my heart...or just remenisc on for a good laugh.
    All this goodness and my life's not even half over. Where or where will life take me next?

1 comment:

  1. How very special this is to read! You are a very special niece who I am VERY proud of! I'm sure your parents are very proud. How wonderful it must make them feel to here how you describe your childhood and how important your parents are to you!

    ReplyDelete