Thursday, February 21, 2013

Doubts in the Dust

As the seeds of a dandelion run away with the wind
and a footprint disappears with the rain
As the warm summer sun becomes too cold to bear
I am still here
As gray hairs and wrinkles cause memories to fade
and children trade in their imagination for their 'grown up' ways
As the power of heartache will falter in time
I am still here
The love of life, the majority of which still lies ahead,
is steadily making its way to front and center stage
And as this realization molds into my being
everything else around me moves at lightening speed
The hours turn to days and fade into weeks
Yet, I am still here
There are whispers of old conversations that find their way to my head
and echoes of learned lessons, some tough and some not
They remind me of where I've been and where I still have yet to see
I am neck and neck with clock
but the sun speeds on by
So much to do, so little time
And then I remember, that hearts lead the way
I was not built to chase dreams
but to build each step along the way
I am still here for a reason
To grow a little every day
For the act of living a life you love
requires being present for every minute
With every conscious effort I can muster from within
I put one foot forward and keep my heart on the brain
There should be a dust trail by now
filled with every doubt I ever had
I won't even pretend to be sorry
as I watch them settle to the ground
I am still here

2 comments: